Some important Thai phrases
It would help a lot if you could speak some Thai before you get here. You will get better prices when bargaining & make friends more quickly. These wav files work on all computers, no need to download a plug-in.
Note: The ending of a statement should end with "Krup" if you are a man and "Ka" if you are a woman.
Every Day Sayings
Food & Dining
Counting Numbers & Money
In English it would be Sir or Madam, but in Thai it is the Gender of the person speaking that matters not the person you are speaking to. :
( below phonetic is for native English / USA )
Tip: Write the first Five Numbers on the tips of your Fingers. It took me 2 days to Remember the First Five Numbers but the Rest of the week for numbers 6 to 10.
- Nung, Song, Saam, Sea, & Ha Baht (35k) 1 to 5 Baht
- Hok, Jet, Paat, & Gaow Baht (29k) 6 to 9 Baht
- Sip-et,Ye-Sip-et, Saam-Sip-et, Sea-Sip-et & Ha-Sip-et Baht (61k) 11 to 51 Baht
Note: "Et" is used instead of "Nung" in Numbers ending in 1.
Sip-et for 11, Ye-Sip-et for 21, Sam-Sip-et, etc.
- Sip, Ye, Saam, Sea, & Ha Sip Baht (43k) 10 to 50 Baht
Sip Baht = 10 Baht. There is no number before the "Sip" as with other numbers.
- Hok, Jet, Paat, & Gaow Sip Baht (43k) 60 Baht to 90 Baht
- Nung, Song, Saam, Sea, & Ha Loy Baht (50k) 100 Baht to 500 Baht
- Hok, Jet, Paat, & Gaow Loy Baht (41k) 600 Baht to 900 Baht
- Nung, Song, Saam, Sea, & Ha Pan Baht (51k) 1000 to 5000 Baht
- Sea Pan Saam Loy Ye Sip Et Baht (58k) 4321 Baht
- Taow Li (7k) How Much ?
- Phang (7k) Expensive
Say this word Gently, you want to bargain not call the salesperson a thief.
- Mi-Ow (7k) I Don't Want
You will need this one. Mi-Ow Krup if your a man & Mi-Ow Ka if your a woman.
- Khup Kun (8k) Thank You
Thank you Miss Somjit Janthakhan for the use of your voice.
If you want to study in depth go to this site
Thai Language Audio Resource Center
This page was made as a courtesy for all travelers.